TOOLS FOR SCHOOL PROGRAM
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK?
- Walton Inspires collects donated new backpacks and school supplies for children in the most need in the community. Backpacks filled with grade-appropriate school supplies are distributed to children through our Resource Center as well as our agency partners which include schools, human services organizations, at-risk youth centers, homeless shelters and foster care organizations.
- We collect new backpacks, school supplies and monetary donations through drives hosted by individuals, organizations and businesses as well as through the Tools For School Corporate Challenge.
- The Tools For School program ensures underprivileged children get to start the first day of school feeling confident and prepared to succeed academically.
- Do you ship oversees and to P.O. boxes?
- Yes, we’ll ship your package anywhere that can accept deliveries.
Why We Do What We Do
- Children living in poverty face many challenges and tremendous stigmatization. Showing up on the first day of school without the proper tools can make a child look and feel different from their classmates which can be very embarrassing and stressful.
- Each year, the school supply lists grows, and families in need struggle to find a way to ensure their children will be able to go to school with their necessary supplies.
- In 2018, more than 89% of all Dallas students or 133,000 children qualified for the Free or Reduced Lunch Program [National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP)/Trial Urban District Assessment (TUDA): 2018] With the average parent spending $107.76 on each child for school supplies each year (National Retail Federation). It is no surprise that families living in poverty simply cannot afford the expense of school supplies for their children.
- By providing a brand new backpack filled with school supplies, children can show up to school ready to start the new school year on the same level as their peers and excited to learn.