MIDDLE SCHOOL ENGLISH
In this course, students will start the year off strong reading “A Crazy Tale” by G. K. Chesterton to learn about author’s purpose.
Then it’s off to Treasure Island and a lesson on setting. Isaac Bashevis Singer recounts his childhood in Poland in A Day ofPleasure, and this sharing of culture teaches students how to share theirs through their writing. “Wakefield” by NathanielHawthorne helps teach about details in writing, and that holiday favorite, A Christmas Carol, shows students how to do what Charles Dickens did best - character development. Students will take the treacherous journey in The Hobbit and learn about conflict. “Reflections” teaches about symbolism, while the uproarious story of Gerald Durrell’s childhood in My Family and Other Animals will provide lessons in humor. The year ends with To Kill a Mockingbird and how to write a literary analysis. They also read such poets as Walt Whitman, Christina Rossetti, Ralph Waldo Emerson, John Keats, and Alfred, Lord Tennyson to learn about imagery, figurative language, and meter in poetry. Throughout this the course, students will engage in assigned reading, mini-lessons, comprehension questions, writing exercises, and class discussions.
Lightning Literature and Composition Pack
Grade-8 with Stories and Poems (www.hewitthomeschooling.com)
(The TG is not a required purchase, but it is included in the pack and offered at a discounted rate.)
- Lightning Lit: Grade-8 Student's Guide ISBN: 978-1-57896-235-8
- Lightning Lit: Grade-8 Workbook ISBN: 978-1-57896-236-5
- Lightning Lit: Grade-8 Teacher's Guide ISBN: 978-1-57896-237-2
- Treasure Island ISBN: 978-0-141-32100-4 Day of Pleasure, A ISBN: 978-0-374-41696-6
- Christmas Carol, A ISBN: 978-0-141-32452-4 Hobbit, The ISBN: 978-0-345-33968-3
- My Family and Other Animals ISBN: 978-0-14-200441-8
- To Kill a Mockingbird ISBN: 0-446-31078-6
- Stories and Poems for Intelligent Children ISBN: 978-0-684-86874-5